Thursday, February 23, 2012

Best songs in tv shows: It's the Gremmies!

What do you mean, you've never heard of them before? Have you been living in a box (1)?
The Gremmies are long-standing awards for songs in television shows that I definitely haven't just made up. They recognise excellence in song-writing and performance and only consider material that originated on the show. No soundtracks, no covers, only original songs performed by a character on the show, qualify. There's no 'first prize' either- we're not base (2) enough to keep score (3). The award is like a badge of recognition, to be shared equally. This week we cover vocal performances. Up next are the Gremmies for instrumental performances but we'll cross that bridge (4) when we come to it. A caveat: remember that even the most entertaining nomination-snippets can't convey everything that made that scene great. And no matter how funny a song's lyrics are, a lot of the humour comes from the situation, the character, the audience. So if you recognise the songs, or feel you want to check them out, watch the episode to do them justice. But I can see you trilling with impatience already (5); don't quaver (6), we'll announce this year's recipients in a minuet [sic] (7). This edition has picked three songs as being superlative, symbols (8) of the musical talent in the television industry. Lifetime Achievement Award holder Phoebe Buffay- famous for smash hits such as Your Love (Is like a Giant Pigeon), The Woman Smelled Like Garbage and the blockbuster video Smelly Cat- will do the honours. The recipients of the Andante Con Spirito (like Dante on booze) are:
Freelove Freeway
David Brent, The Office
Oh, the inappropriateness of a boss hijacking someone else's staff meeting to sing suggestive songs to a guitar that he went home during office hours to fetch. David Brent has just finished singing Colourblind (it's 'racial'), and gets started on this one. It's a peppy tune with catchy lyrics but sung to a sea of glum faces. And just as he's getting into the groove, faithful sidekick Gareth Keenan chimes in with unwanted back-up vocals:
I got some- Hot love on the hot love highway/
Now I'm goin' home cause my baby's gone/ (She's dead) She's not dead.
Have a listen: from 15.44. Series 1, Episode 4. As a bonus, here's the longer studio version (She said Por Favor/ Can you pump me up/I said Muchos Gracias/and Adios).
LinkIn The Moonlight (Do Me)
Dylan, Modern Family
It's the first time Dylan the Boyfriend is meeting the extended family. There's just been a violent quarrel, Dylan's helped resolve it, things are looking up. So he decides to sing a song he wrote for the daughter of the house. It starts off romantic ('The stars are falling from the sky') and then he takes it up a notch as the camera spans the room, reminding us who's watching: parents, grandparents, uncles...
Cause maybe baby/ I just wanna do you, do you/ Do you wanna do me, do me/ Underneath the moonlight, moonlight.
Have a listen: Season 1, Episode 4. Here's the moment

It Ain't Easy Being White or Brown
Gob and Franklin, Arrested Development
It's only a four-line song but each one is solid ebony and ivory. Gob and Franklin nail the always-difficult ventriloquist/dummy duet as they lay bare the Human Condition. Gob does the soulful white-guy singing parts, Franklin takes on the pained yelping of the Ethnic Minority. In our other entries, the audience is a large part of what makes the songs funny. In this, our sole member of audience- Studio Guy- has made his exit before the song is over.
It ain't being white/ It ain't easy being brown/ All this pressure to be bright/ I got children all over town.
Have a listen: Season 2, Episode 18. Again, no decent clips from the episode itself but here's the disembodied song. --
What do you think? Any omissions? It's a long way to the top (9) but we have some Spirito Con Andante (booze, drunk at a leisurely pace) titles left in the bag. Coming soon: The Gremmies for instrumental performances.

4 comments:

  1. I followed your link that you left on an article about Simon Amstell and this piece caught my eye.

    I love the idea of this post. It's good you kept it bitesized for the introduction but you should try for a Top 10. Spoof songs from sitcoms or sketch shows can be both comedy and music gems.
    Chris Morris turned them into an art form in 'The Day Today' and 'Brass Eye' ('Blouse' anyone?).

    I'm so glad you included 'Freelove Freeway' and Franklin & GOB. 'Arrested Development' had some great incidental musical. I think they really did an hilarious job of satirising not being able to get/afford the rights to the original versions.

    I really like their send-up of 'Sexual Healing'...

    'Oh, my, oh my...pardonnez-moi. You're gonna make me cry...'

    Nonsense lyrics but good production, vocal arrangements and melody.

    90s Blackadder-for-kids sitcom 'Maid Marian and her Merry Men' also had quality, well written ditties. There's 'Much The Mini Mart Manager's son' and another one that got Bananarama down to a tee. I think Howard Goodall wrote them and he did some really good spoof songs for 'Not the Nine O'Clock' news (I like the Kate Bush one even though I think she's great and the send-up of the Nu-romantics 'Nice video, shame about the song') and wrote the theme to 'Red Dwarf'.


    You've really got me started on this...so yes extend the list. The Simpsons have given us some classics too such as 'Sending a message down the well' and 'Lisa it's your birthday...' sung by the late great MJ. Enough rambling for now :-). All the best.

    Shalom, Tola x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, thanks for that, and for the commment! When I first read your suggestion of extending the list to a top 10, I thought that there was no way I'd watched enough television to pick seven more good ones. But your picks (of which there are some I haven't watched so I'll check them out at some point), have got me thinking, and maybe I might just be able to. There are four or five I've got in mind already- Bernard in Black Books' 'Songs of the Old Country', Dr. Statham's increasingly worrying Alphabet Song in Green Wing, the beatboxer (and the a-capella people) in Scrubs... So yes, a 'towards 10' list is in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course! How could I forget 'Scrubs'? They had loads of mad music moments.

    I thought of a couple more sources of TV musical mirth. I'm not sure if you're aware of the excellent US sitcom 'Community'. The current series has been a mixed bag but the 1st two were great. They've done quite a few 'Glee!' parodies. The latest one, the Christmas special 'Regional Holiday Music' has lots of funny musical moments to add to your list.

    There's also 'The Boondocks' animation series which is always making fun of commercial rap. They really take their time over spoofing inane, soulless chart toppers. And don't forget Chris Lilley's musical offerings from 'Summer Heights High' 'We Can Be Heroes' and 'Angry Boys' (I'm pretty sure most clips are available on Youtube). In fact they deserve their own separate top 10. I could go on but it's getting embarrassing. I'll leave you with this clip from the cartoon 'Home Movies'...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzNfXVkYi_Q

    Great melody.

    Enjoy :-)

    (Having engaged in all of this now I realise I've spent too much time watching telly!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oo, oo, oo, what about Tongue Tied from Red Dwarf? I think that's my favourite TV song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3t3IKlXqFU
    Got to agree with Tolita - Maid Marion was full of gems. My favourite is Father Bloopy.
    I'm sure there should be a few from Flight of the Conchords on the list too!

    ReplyDelete